Our multi-disciplinary Systems Engineering Department possesses technical systems level expertise and is structured to execute projects utilizing cross-functional coordination from early in the development cycle through design, operations, performance, test/verification, manufacturing cost/scheduling to final system validation.
As part of Systems Integration, the behaviour of fully-integrated software on an integrated hardware target system is evaluated against functional, non-functional, and performance requirements. Project-specific Acceptance Test Plans and Procedures are written to address the top-level requirements of the system. BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. (BWXT) Systems Engineering is practiced in design completion techniques, including the traceability of all requirements for the modification(s).
The BWXT Systems Engineering team is well versed in a multitude of tools considered critical in today’s demanding design environment. These tools include Failure Modes and Effect Analysis (FMEA), Reliability-Availability-Maintainability (RAM) Analysis, and Personnel & Nuclear Safety Analysis.
The unit performs qualifications of both Commercial-Off-the-Shelf (COTS) pre-developed software, and custom-developed software. These qualifications have been performed to a variety of standards, using various methods suitable for all categories of software up to and including Category II.
The BWXT Systems Engineering Department has a dedicated, experienced Engineering Change Control (ECC) Services team that focuses on the application of our customer’s ECC process. Our team is capable of performing all aspects of the ECC process including modification planning, conceptual design, detail design, installation and commissioning, as well as close-out and AFS activities.
Services Offered/Knowledge Areas
- Fuel Handling control systems: hardware, design, replacement
- Software/firmware & hardware categorization and qualification
- Human Factors Assessments
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) reporting
- System Design Requirement Management, including requirement development and traceability
- Design & integration of systems
- Design of system architectures and operations
- Personnel & Nuclear Safety Analysis
- Reliability-Availability-Maintainability (RAM) Analysis
- Qualification of equipment to environmental, EMI and EMC standards
- Testing & commissioning plans and procedures
- RSE/SRE On-Site support roles including DTL (or equivalent), MTL & FTL site roles.
- Temporary/Permanent Modifications, close-outs
Projects & Jobs
- Defuelling & Refurbishment
- Fuel Handling protective computer replacement
- Legacy inverter replacement
- Trolley Rehab
- Automated Reactor Inspection and Maintenance Tooling
- Ageing and Obsolescence Programs