BWXT Nuclear Operations Group, Inc., a subsidiary of BWXT, offers a complete range of nuclear components and services, including the manufacture of nuclear reactor components for U.S. Naval submarines and aircraft carriers and other nuclear and non-nuclear research and development and component production.
We have proudly manufactured naval nuclear components and reactors since the 1950s, when we designed and fabricated components for the USS Nautilus, the world’s first nuclear-powered submarine. To date, the U.S. government has safely steamed more than 140 million miles using components manufactured by BWXT’s facilities—a track record that is highlighted by our commitment to safety, quality and integrity.
Today, our reactors power the Navy’s Ohio, Virginia, Seawolf and Los Angeles class submarines, as well as the Nimitz and Ford class aircraft carriers.
BWXT is a full-spectrum supplier of high-consequence, close-tolerance large-scale components and highly complex, electro-mechanical products. Our facilities feature a highly skilled, tenured workforce and unique array of state-of-the-art nuclear and non-nuclear capabilities ranging from design, manufacturing, inspection, assembly and testing.
In Addition to Naval Nuclear Work, We Also:
- Serve as the only domestic supplier of research reactor fuel elements for colleges, universities and national laboratories
- Perform converting or downblending of high-enriched uranium into low-enriched fuel for use in commercial reactors for generating electricity
- Manufacture large-scale heavy pressure vessels and other nuclear components for commercial power applications
- Conduct engineering and non-destructive testing
- Provide vulnerability assessment services
BWXT Locations Include:
- Lynchburg, Va. – principally manufactures naval nuclear reactors for submarines and aircraft carriers
- Barberton, Ohio – manufactures heavy components for naval nuclear reactor plants used in submarines and aircraft carriers
- Euclid, Ohio – manufactures electro-mechanical components for naval reactors used in submarines and aircraft carriers
- Mount Vernon, Ind. – manufactures heavy components for naval nuclear reactors and aircraft carriers
In addition, our subsidiary Nuclear Fuel Services, Inc. is located in Erwin, Tenn. NFS converts Cold War-era stockpiles of highly enriched uranium into material suitable for processing into commercial nuclear reactor fuel. We also operate a uranium fuel materials production facility to support America's fleet of nuclear-powered submarines and aircraft carriers.