Structural Engineering Analysis
With over 50 years of experience in research and design of nuclear equipment, BWXT has developed an integrated approach for structural evaluation, which is comprised of finite element analysis, classical analysis and testing. The approach has been applied to many component and piping designs and field modifications, in compliance with all code and regulatory requirements.
BWXT’s experienced engineers participate in ASME Code committees, industry groups, and conferences and can offer their expertise and talent in the following areas:
- Design of ASME Code Section III Class 1, 2 and 3 vessels, components and piping
- Design of ASME Code Section VIII Div. 1, 2 and 3 vessels
- Transient heat transfer and thermal stress analysis
- Seismic analysis – response spectrum analysis and time history analysis
- Elastic–plastic analysis – limit and collapse load analysis
- Linear and non-linear large deformation dynamic analysis
- Piping system analysis in accordance with ASME B31.1 Power Piping Code or Section III of ASME code
- Pressure vessel bolted closure design, redesign and assessment of existing designs, including gasket testing and analysis
- Fracture mechanics analysis including crack growth, leak before break, failure assessment and testing in accordance with ASME Code Sections III and XI
- Fatigue analysis to the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code Sections III and VIII criteria
CAPABILITY AND TOOLS
BWXT uses industry leading computer codes including ABAQUSTM, ANSYS®, COMPRESSTM, and PV Elite®, for finite element analysis and 3-D modeling. Commercial codes are supplemented by in-house computer codes meeting BWXT’s QA requirements for specific applications and proprietary analyses. Customer-specific requirements for other specified software can be accommodated.
ANSYS® is a registered trademark of ANSYS, Inc.
PV Elite® is a registered trademark of Intergraph® Corporation.
CompressTM is a registered trademark of Codeware®.
ABAQUSTM is a registered trademark of Dassault Systems.