BWXT is making significant contributions to a cleaner environment through our involvement with U.S. Department of Energy Environmental Management (EM) projects, focused on removing legacy materials remaining at sites that previously housed high-consequence operations related to the production of nuclear weapons, primarily during the Cold War era.
We apply the knowledge and expertise gained over more than 30 years of providing decontamination and decommissioning (D&D) services to the U.S. government to treat, store and dispose of high-consequence waste and perform facility closures. This work is performed while staying on the cutting edge of technologies and best practices to increase safety, security and cost efficiency while driving a strong nuclear safety culture.
- Waste Management (e.g. characterization, retrieval, packaging, transportation, sorting/recycling, disposal)
- Facility and Equipment Decontamination
- Facility Decommissioning
- Facility Demolition
- Fuel Handling
- Remediation & Restoration
- Nuclear Materials Management
- Program Management
- Conduct of Operations
- Regulatory Compliance
- Environmental Safety and Health Management
- Planning & Integration
- Workforce Training & Transition
- Decommissioned three nuclear test reactors
- First U.S. company to successfully complete major D&D released for unrestricted use at our commercial nuclear fuel fabrication facility
- Dispositioned and removed more than 800 facilities and structures
- Reduced tank farm liquid waste by 330,000 gallons
- Dispositioned 1.3 million curies of tritium
- Retrieval, characterization, treatment and shipment of 65,000 cubic meters of stored transuranic and mixed low-level contaminated waste out of Idaho
Our environmental capabilities also include providing services to the commercial nuclear industry through the disposal of newly generated nuclear waste, including storage in underground containment, as well as encapsulation and storage of spent nuclear fuel.